15 April 2012
Newcomer Comini dominates at Monza
Swiss newcomer Stefano Comini triumphed at this weekend’s opening round of the Lamborghini Blancpain Super Trofeo in Monza, dominating race two on Sunday despite treacherous track conditions. Spectators huddled for cover as persistent rain and low visibility saw a start behind the safety car, which stayed out for the first ten minutes of the race.
Following his victory in Saturday’s race one, Comini started on pole for race two and held his position until the finish, setting the fastest lap time as he came over the finish in a final flourish. “I started first and finished first. Despite the wet weather it was much easier today as the circuit conditions were constant,” said Comini. “Bonaldi Motorsport did a great job and set up the perfect car from first to last. This has been a great weekend for me.”
Second and third positions were closely fought to the end with Gianluca Carboni and last year’s champion Cedric Leimer separated by a mere 0.278 at the finish.
The gap between the first three and the rest of the field never closed. VIP driver Tiff Needell set a good pace initially but dropped back from his third place on the grid to sixth before his team-mate Mario Fasanetto took over and regained a place to finish in fifth.
The Lamborghini Blancpain Super Trofeo continues at Silverstone on the 2 and 3 June.
Race two results
1. Comini (#3) Bonaldi Motorsport, 50:52.347
2. Carboni (#54) Autocarrozzeria Imperiale SRL, 51:02.909
3. Leimer (#63) Autovitesse Garage R Affolter, 51:03.187
4. Zucchi/Cola (#22) Autocarrozzeria Imperiale SRL, 51:38.615
5. Fasanetto/Needell (#1) Autocarrozzeria Imperiale SRL, 51:55.478
6. Seveso/Piancastelli (#20) Autocarrozzeria Imperiale SRL, 51:55.823
7. Enjalbert/Delhez (#69) Touring Auto 2000 SRL, 52:00.964
8. Geraci/Tanca (#72) Autocarrozzeria Imperiale SRL, 52:32.966
9. Knoll, (#77) Heiko-Gravity Charouz Team, 52:47.288
10. Varvaroussis/Charouz (#88) Heiko-Gravity Charouz Team, 52:56.323
11. H Leimer/Jenny (#19) Autovitesse Garage R Affolter, 52:59.965
12. Lhoste (#12) Autovitesse Garage R Affolter, 51:34.060
13. Venema/Segler, (#2) G2 Racing, 51:37.378
14. J Urban/M Urban (#66) Heiko-Gravity Charouz, 51:45.440
15. Z. Baran/j.Stovicek (#99) Heiko-Gravity Charouz, 52:52.634
16. D. Stancheris (#23) Bonaldi Motorsport, 51:41.477
Points - Drivers
Leimer C. 20
Leimer H. 1
Bonaldi Motorsport 30
Autocarrozzeria Imperiale SRL 20
Touring Auto 2000 SRL 20
Autovitesse Garage R. Affolter 20
Heiko Gravity Charouz Team 12
Lamborghini Dehler Team Germany 10
Notes to editors:
The 2012 Lamborghini Blancpain Super Trofeo season begins in April, featuring the Lamborghini Super Trofeo: a lightweight version of the Gallardo LP 560-4. The Super Trofeo has a reworked chassis and a power output of 419 kW (570 hp) from its V10, ‘Iniezione Diretta Stratificata’ engine. The race car features Lamborghini’s permanent four-wheel drive, making the Super Trofeo the only one-make, all-wheel drive motorsport series.
Lamborghini will again partner with luxury Swiss watchmaker Blancpain, who is the series’ title sponsor, creating a perfect partnership between two prestigious and highly-innovative brands.
One of the world’s largest tyre manufacturers and sole OEM supplier to Automobili Lamborghini, Pirelli partners the Lamborghini Blancpain Super Trofeo series. With a successful motorsport heritage across rally, sports cars and Formula One, Pirelli will be the strategic partner of the series for the fourth season in succession. With a history built on high performance tyres, Pirelli is a world leader in both original equipment and the aftermarket, with 24 factories in 12 countries around the world.
For more information visit the Lamborghini Blancpain Super Trofeo website www.lamborghini.com/supertrofeo. For highresolution images and further media enquires please contact the media team on firstname.lastname@example.org